Essex Street

-

Other materials

Blue Plaque information

ESSEX STREET was laid out in the grounds of Essex House by NICHOLAS BARBON in 1675 Among many famous lawyers who lived here were Sir ORLANDO BRIDGEMAN c.1606�1674 Lord Keeper HENRY FIELDING 1707�1754 Novelist and BRASS CROSBY 1725�1793 Lord Mayor of London JAMES SAVAGE 1779�1852 Architect had his office here. PRINCE CHARLES EDWARD STUART stayed at a house in the street in 1750. Rev. THEOPHILUS LINDSEY 1723�1808 Unitarian Minister founded Essex Street Chapel here in 1774. Dr. SAMUEL JOHNSON established an evening club at the Essex Head in 1783

Plaque erected

in 1962

Essex Hall, Essex Street
Strand WC2R 3HU